Re: [nls 00250] Re: gencat

"Yoshito Kawada" <KAWADA@jp.ibm.com> writes:

> Thank you for consideration. That sounds good, but there is a drawback that
> all the existing message catalog files written in SJIS and some others must
> be edited.  In addition, the portability of message catalog among different
> operating systems can be lost.

Portability is not lost.  Using

  $ charset=...

Is handled by all gencat programs since it is just a comment for all
others.

> I would prefer to introduce a  new compiler option.   My idea is:
> If the user specify the  compiler option to gencat, say, "--multibyte" (
> sorry, I do not have good sense of naming), then gencat takes the wide
> character logic, that refers to the current locale. *Default behavior of
> gencat is kept as it is.*

This would be very difficult to use.  It would mean that no package by
default will come with Japanese SJIS encoded catalogs since the
package author cannot assume that an appropriate locale or iconv
module is available.  Also, a new option really makes this approach
unportable.  You would have to have different installation rules for
Linux and all other systems.  This is not the case if the $ charset
comment is required.

What would be the argument to --multibyte?  A locale name?  A charset
name?  Would you use mbsrtowcs() or iconv()?

What do other systems do?  They must have the same problem.  How would
a makefile look like in such a case?  You would have to have different
rules for each catalog.  This is much more error prone than having the
necessary information in one place, namely the catalog itself.