preprocessor woes

I finally took the time to find out why the ld.so name for x86 with a
new gcc is now ld.so.1.  It turns out to be *again* a problem
introduced by the preprocessor changes happening these days.  Now

  i.86-.*-linux.*

gets expanded to

  i.86 -.*-linux.*

(note the extra space).  I've added -traditional to the command line
which will hopefully work for all gcc versions.  Since I'm almost
exclusively test new gcc versions you should keep an eye on it.

The morale of the story is to never expect the standard cpp to behave
sane, always use -traditional if you use cpp for anything but C code.