Re: RFC: Caching of lookup results during startup

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> To improve the start up time of the dynamic linker, I followed an idea
> the BSD folks implemented (my view is i386 centric but everything can
> be generalized):  [...]

While this can certainly help a bit it is by far not enough.  Jakub's
patch includes a cache as well but more importantly he also has linker
patches to generate appropriately optimized binaries.  It is necessary
to combine and sort the relocation sections.  Only then can the cache
be really effective.

So, instead of dealing with this patch only to later rework it I'm
waiting for the linker changes to materialize and then add an
appropriate patch.  Jakub AFAIK has one but he's on vacation this week.