Re: RFC: Caching of lookup results during startup

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> I haven't seen binutils patches for this yet and looking at his
> description he seems to do the reordering in his prelinker.

For now this is true I assume.

> I've just played around with only caching the last value and got 1050
> values served from the cache instead of 33770 values using a complete
> cache (out of 54130 relocations for konqueror).  The reordering part
> is essential here.

It's really essential all the time.  Otherwise you have to do more
work (more than one entry cached) and get less out of it.  It's not
only the number of relocations you perform, it's also the
administrative work to be done for each of them.