Re: LDTs and Linux 2.4.x

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> As reported on several mailing lists and also in PR libc/2469, the LDT
> based thread implementation does not work with some 2.4.x kernel.
> This bug is fixed in 2.4.8 and we should therefore adjust the
> ASSUME_LDT_WORKS flag.
>
> Ok to commit?

No, I don't believe this is necessary.  The one report might just as
well have been cured by luck in scheduling.  I'm not convinced that
all problems are gone.  I for one know about a pretty severe problem
in the clone() handling which is not even LDT-only (or IA-32
specific).  And looking to 2.3, the LDT will be used as well in
non-threaded contexts and we don't want to limit the kernels more than
absolutely necessary.

If somebody has a kernel related problem with threaded applications
they can use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL which should work since everybody should
have a non-LDT thread library installed as well.