Re: 2.3 plans

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:

> Jakub's latest gcc 3.1 patch looked quite reasonable.  I made a few
> comments and once these things are resolved I'll apply it.
>
> This means that the branch point for 2.3 is near (well, the 2.2-stable
> branch is created).  Time to post the to-do list for 2.3.  I'd like to
> have a quick cycle to get the functionality out there as uick as
> possible (especially the locale-model stuff).  A second reason is that
> I still hope to get the thread-library rewritten but this won't happen
> in 2.3.  So we don't have to wait for this but should also not have
> 2.4 delayed for long just because 2.3 was just released.
>
> Anyway, I've mentioned on several occasions that I have a to-do list
> myself.  I include it hear.  So far these items are assigned to me.
> If somebody wants to take over the one or other thing let me know.
> Only Wolfram already has an item on his list since he agreed to it a
> long time ago.
>
> Anyway, please send me ASAP the additional items you expect on the
> list so that we can make final plans.

Can you put the final list with some more information on the web,
please?

> me:
>
> - new locale model
>
> - implement transliteration inside localedef
>
> - update to new ISO 14651 table with needed localedef changes; this is again
>   a lot of work
>
> - implement read-only mmap() support for streams; read-only streams should
>   under certain circumstances simply use one mmap() call and set the
>   buffer pointers appropriately
>
> - further reduce startup costs
>   + 11 locale files!
>   + get rid of __libc_subinit
>   + avoid PLT entries by using internal symbol
>   + eventually move all ld.so variables in one structure
>
> - add object file reordering; I have a beginning for this but it's not yet
>   sophisticated enough

Can you elaborate on this?

> - getifaddrs (http://veltec.co.jp/jman/cat/freeifaddrs.html)
>
> - regex speed patch; I have the patches in my inbox
>
> - add additional level of testing (root-only, alias, namespace, ...)
>
> - eventually implement one or two of the proposed nscd improvements
>
> - correctly implement filter DSOs; implement DSO groups
>

> Wolfram:
>
> - new malloc

My list has currently (I'm not volunteering for everything):

- Evaluate and use GMP 3.1

- Use GLIBC_PRIVATE for glibc internal symbols

- Add prelinking support (that's probably Jakub's task)

- Usage of glibc headers in C++ - is everything ok?

- long double on PowerPC and Sparc32 done right (should be done by
  PowerPC/Sparc developers)

- Convert libm-tests to use exact parameters so that we have no
  rounding in the arguments.  We could even consider using Hexadecimal
  Constants for both inputs and outputs so that the used values are
  correct (I'll definitly do this).

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger