Re: LC_* number reduction

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:

> a) if you have this 25M locale.db file installed and want to upgrade glibc
>    which e.g. contains some locales fixes, you need to decide either that
>    you replace this file with the new one (which means blowing away possible
>    user's localedef additions/tweaks/whatever), or leave the old one there
>    (thus the user won't upgrade the locales for which fixes exist).
>    Of course, there could be some "merge" operation for them.
>    I don't consider here rebuilding all locales from sources at glibc
>    package install time, since that takes too long.

This isn't much of a problem.  What I had in mind is providing some
kind of 'ar' functionality.  If you have to do major upgrades etc you
extract all files from the database and create normal files.  Then you
update the separate files and finally create a brand new database.

> b) it is no longer possible to install a subset of locales which users will
>    only use (say at install time one chooses he will only be interested in
>    english, french and german locales) - you end up with the 25M file all
>    the time.

Again, no problem.  I would not expect the database to be shipped
(maybe as well).  You install the single files as it is in the moment.
Than run localedef to insert the file and remove the separate file
then.