Re: framestate.c vs --enable-oldest-abi=2.2.5

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 07:27:58PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> To build with --enable-oldest-abi=2.2.5 (which in Hurd configurations is
> implied by --enable-libio, and will be the default for 2.3), I seem to need
> the following change to avoid every dynamic and -shared link in the build
> failing.  Is this right?  I am assuming that for the no-compatibility case,
> this stuff is supposed to just come from -lgcc; but is that in fact the plan?

Actually not from -lgcc, but either from -lgcc_eh (for static linking) and
-lgcc_s (for shared libs).

> With this change the build mostly works, but static linking (of sln) fails
> due to undefined __register_frame_info_bases and
> __deregister_frame_info_bases referenced by gcc's crtbegin.o.  Is that just
> a problem in my gcc installation?  (I built this gcc from cvs last week.)

Probably yes (or in Hurd gcc specs). If gcc -static, then gcc should pass
-lgcc_eh -lgcc on the command line and thus the registry should be
in the link. Can you please mail gcc -v output for the failed sln link?

BTW: What binutils you used during gcc 3.1/2 configury?

> Or am I confused about what should be happening here?
>
> I complained about this lossage before and got absolute silence.  Jakub,
> can you please look at this or at least give me the capsule summary of what
> the picture is supposed to look like for a no-compatibility configuration
> using just libc 2.2.x and gcc 3.x?

> 2002-03-20  Roland McGrath  <roland@frob.com>
>
> 	* sysdeps/generic/framestate.c [EXPORT_UNWIND_FIND_FDE]:
> 	Conditionalize contents on this.

If Ulrich agrees on the #if, fine. It is IMHO better to do this in one place
then having to change 6 or how many Makefiles.

	Jakub