Re: Re:check-abi

> > After you have a good build, do:
> >
> >        make -s update-abi update-abi-config='CPU-.*-linux.*'
>
> I gave this a shot for powerpc64 and the update-abi seems to work but the
> check-abi fails:

In fact you ran this literal command, rather than replacing "CPU" with
"powerpc64" or whatever the appropriate bit of regexp is, as was clearly
explained in my message.  Since your platform's configuration tuple does
not match the regexp "CPU-.*-linux.*", check-abi's extraction from the
.abilist files yields nothing.  Hence the 100k diffs that you helpfully
attached uncompressed.

There was no problem with the . symbols.  I am guessing you didn't look at
either the .abilist files or the diffs, since a glance at either shows that
both the ".foo F" and "foo O" lines are all there.  It seems likely that
check-abi will work fine once you have actually done an update-abi run that
does anything useful.  Please try it.

However, seeing all those . symbols makes me think perhaps we should do
something to avoid them doubling the size of the .abilist files.

Is it always the case that for each "foo O" there must be a ".foo F"
and vice versa (among exported global symbols)?  I am thinking to make
abilist.awk notice when there are either . symbols or O-type symbols and in
that case do a check that they all match, and emit just "foo F" in the end
(so as to match other platforms).

Thanks,
Roland