Re: AUTOCONF not set when --with-cvs

> Why is the autoconf check not supposed to be run when --without-cvs?
> Apart from the fact that the test is backwards the autoconf rule in
> Makefile is always active even when --without-cvs.  Or perhaps you had
> this in mind?

That is obviously what I had in mind when I made that change.  I was
evidently not thinking too clearly.  I never ever use --with-cvs, because I
find the notion of automatic implicit commits just too wrong.  But I do
still want the autoconf runs in my builds (I notice when they happen, check
that they are sane, and commit them by hand).

The motivation for the tweak to configure was that the autoconf check takes
quite a while relative to other tests (it takes a few seconds on my ppc
box), because it simply tries autoconf on configure.in rather than any
simpler test.  Now that I have autoconf-2.5x installed as the first
autoconf in my path, I would be happy with getting rid of this check and
letting people lose when they touch configure.in files without the right
autoconf installed or the right AUTOCONF= value in their configure command.