Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

On Nov 25, 2004, David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com> wrote:

> 	SOURCE			INSTALLED AS
> 	======================	============
> 	include/user/		/usr/include/user/
> 	include/user-i386/	/usr/include/user-i386/
> 				/usr/include/linux -> user
> 				/usr/include/asm -> user-i386

Although user/ and user-* make a lot of sense within the kernel source
tree, I don't think these names would be very clear in /usr/include.
I'd rather use names in /usr/include that more clearly associate them
with the kernel.  Heck, even /usr/include/asm is inappropriate, but
it's been there for so long that we really shouldn't try to get rid of
it.

If I had it my way, we'd have, in the kernel tree, userland-aimed
headers in include/linux/user and include/asm-<machine>/user, and have
them installed in /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm-<machine>.

This means these headers shouldn't reference each other as
linux/user/something.h, but rather as linux/something.h, such that
they still work when installed in /usr/include/linux.  This may
require headers include/linux/something.h to include
linux/user/something.h, but that's already part of the proposal.