Re: autoconf AC_PREREQ ?

Carlos,
All,

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 22:22:41 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> > Then, make decide that the configure are out-of-date, and runs autoconf
> > against the pre-requisite configure.in files. Hence mu problem.
> You should touch all the configure scripts to avoid having them regenerate.

That's in fact what I went for, it was far easier than trying to find wether
a suitable autoconf is installed...

> > I by far prefer setting and exporting AUTOCONF rather than touching the
> > files. It sounds saner, touching is going in the back of make.
> That is also a good solution.

Unfortunately, if autoconf is not 2.53 or above, then I don't know what
alternatives to try: Debian calls it autoconf2.50 but is 2.61, and I don't
know how other distros call it: autoconf-2.50? autoconf-x.yz? something else?

Settling to touching the files is easier, and no less sane...

> The glibc configure.in files are only fragments, and do not use
> AC_INIT or AC_PREREQ.

Maybe they are fragments, but autoconf *is* run against them, a-la (line
manually split):
autoconf sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/configure.in > \
         sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/configure

So, when run, autoconf sees neither AC_PREREQ nor AC_INIT. Or am I missing
something?

> The top-level configure file *does* specify the correct AC_PREREQ and
> that is all that matters.

I can't see how... Each configure.in fragments are parsed separately from the
top-level configure.in, so how can that work?

Anyway, I've found a /workaround/ to using snapshots, but I would really like
to understand...

Regards, and thank you again!
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |