From: Ryan Arnold <ryan.arnold@gmail.com>
To: Daniel De La Zerda <danieldelazerda@gmail.com>
Cc: libc-help@sourceware.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:57:31 PM
Subject: Re: linker errors when compiling and linking with a new glibc

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Daniel De La Zerda
<ddelazerda007@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Right before you responded I was looking at how new functions would be exported as an external symbol. I didn't know that Versions file did that job. Thanks for the the help! I have another problem now. I have a test program that uses "pthread_foo_init()", now that I got rid of the "undefined reference error" it compiles fine, but when I run the executable with testrun.sh I get the error "libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work", I haven't installed my new glibc yet and I wouldn't wanna do it just yet until I fully test my change.
>
> I have another question...How do I make sure that when I install this new glibc on my system, "foo.h" will be in "/usr/include/foo.h"?

Sorry Daniel, installing glibc over the existing system toolchain is
beyond my knowledge.

You can do a make install install_root="somedirectory" and it will
install your libc to: somedirectory/$prefix

You can then check in there to see what it installs.

For tips on testing your GLIBC take a look at our wiki:

http://sources.redhat.com/glibc/wiki/Testing/Builds

Ryan S. Arnold