Re: Installation help request

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 09:40:55 JohnT wrote:
> Hello. I would like to learn how to upgrade the Linux libc library from
> source without the time-consuming but simple task of just installing a
> distro upgrade. I have several source tarballs and have built some, but
> it appears that to install a new library, one must use statically linked
> installation tools and worry about system programs that might be
> dynamically linked to the old library. A how-to discussion on
> installation would be appreciated.

the glibc libraries have to be replaced "atomically" like any other ELF that
is in active use on the system.  that means using `mv` on the same partition
and doing it with either a static program or one that can do multiple moves
without exiting.

if you build up busybox statically, that should give you a simple but complete
environment: shell, renaming utilities, etc...

then a simple method is to put all the new glibc libs in the right dir but
with like a ".new" suffix, and then do:
for f in *.new ; do mv $f ${f%.new} ; done
-mike