Re: Allin Cottrell: ld-2.10.1.so

> On Fri, 15 May 2009, gabriele balducci wrote:
>
> > > I wonder, can anyone replicate, or explain away (or account for in
> > > any way) the segfaults in ld-2.10.1.so that I reported here
> > > (libc-help archive, May 13)?
> >
> > I do not know if this makes sense for you, but I noticed that you built
> > with gcc-4.4.0...
>
> Yes, that's right.
>
> > This caused troubles for me with 2.10.1: various programs
> > started segfaulting immediately after installation.
> >
> > After cleaning and rebuilding with gcc-4.2.1 everything was (and
> > is still) fine. This on two different (gnu-linux) boxes.
>
> > Actually, the INSTALL file says:
> >
> >  * GCC 3.4 or newer, GCC 4.1 recommended
>
> Ah, thanks, that may explain it.  But I notice that INSTALL was
> last modified 3 years ago (when gcc 4.1 was the latest release).
> Can anyone say what the current gcc recommendation is?  I still

I do not know. However, this is not the first instance where gcc-4.4.0
originated troubles: building firefox-3.0.[9-10] was apparently fine,
but the browser showed funny behavior at run time. The thing has been
noticed elsewhere
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-help/2009-05/msg00071.html) and as
far as I seem to understand the latest version of gcc is quite good at
exposing bugs and/or inaccuracies in various source codes.

So, I would definitely give a try to a less recent gcc version

good luck

ciao
gabriele

--
Gabriele Balducci - Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche - Via L. Giorgieri 1
I-34127 TRIESTE tel: I-040-5583957 fax: I-040-5583903 e-mail: balducci@units.it