Re: transition from 2.9 to 2.10 goes pretty smooth

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Justin Mattock<justinmattock@gmail.com> wrote:
> After compiling glibc-20090511
> and installing(you guys do a good job)
> I noticed that libc-2.9.90.so
> changes to libc-2.10.1.so.(was a bit nervous
> about the transition from 2.9 to 2.10, but now
> I realize it's already done).
>
> Anyways now that I've made the transistion from
> 2.9 to 2.10 without even realizing, how would I go
> and remove the old libs?(manually or run make uninstall
> from glibc-20090504's(glibc-build directory)?
>
> In any case everything seems good..

Installing glibc using "make install" is not a good idea, you are left
with some applications running with cached and loaded old libc and new
ones that have started up with the new libc.

The correct way is:
1) Use alternate root fs.
2) Install glibc into target root fs using tools from alternate root fs.
3) Pivot into the new root fs.

To fix a mistake:
1) Pive to old root fs.
2) Uninstall glibc from new root fs.
3) Install old glibc to new root fs.
4) Pivot to new root fs.

I use chroot's built with debootstrap to test new glibc builds.

Cheers,
Carlos.