Re: setlocale causing string comparison bug

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Anthony Newnam<anthony@bnovc.com> wrote:
> I've narrowed down the problem to ld-collate.c in locales/programs.
>
> If I compile this file with
> -fexpensive-optimizations -frename-registers
> it works out, but if I compile it with
> -fexpensive-optimizations -frename-registers -fno-omit-frame-pointer
> then localedef generates an invalid locale-archive.
>
> ?I'm guessing that the obstack_ calls in ld-collate.c are being
> incorrectly compiled, but I don't know how to easily test that.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Not very easy. You need to review the generated assembly instruction
by instruction to make sure everything is being done as expected. When
you find a mistake, you need to produce a reduced testcase that still
triggers the bug in the compiler and file and issue in the gcc
bugzilla. It may be easy enough to try and create a simple program
that does something similar to the code you are compiling and see if
you can make it fail. You can also go back to the compiler and review
the failures in the compiler testsuite.

Cheers,
Carlos.