Link Local with Zone Index in /etc/hosts

Hi,

I'm not totally sure if this is the best place for this message. I
typed it up a while ago as a comment to Ulrich Drepper's blog; it was
never posted (had to be approved first). I know that this is libc
specific, but if another place would be better, please let me know. I
wrote most of this about 4 months ago, and just not got around to
posting it.

A while ago I tried adding a link local IPv6 address with a zone index
(the interface) to my hosts file, and found that it would not resolve.
E.g.: "fe80::%eth0 linklocalhost", rather than "fe80:: linklocalhost".

I can use link local addresses without the zone index, but then I have
to specify the interface for each application. Not all applications that
support zoneindexes support a separate flag to set the interface (so I
can do `networkcommand fe80::%eth0`, but don't support an
interface flag, so I can't do `networkcommand linklocalhost -I eth0`),
and writing linklocalhost%eth0 to /etc/resolv.conf does not seem to do
much good. I'd like to be able to support fe80::%eth0 linklocalhostname
in the hosts file so it can be used wherever applications support zone
indices (and IPv6), without extra parameters. Not sure if this is even
possible though.

Is there any reasonable way to support this, or would it either break
compatibility, or require things to be coded to support it? It's a
fairly minor feature, just thought it could be useful in some cases.
Sorry I don't know the internals enough to understand if this is even
possible application side, but I think you would probably know if it's
possible by the time you read this (if you've understood it, that is).

Thanks!
--Teran

--
--Teran McKinney (sega01)

Blog, website, consulting:
http://go-beyond.org/
Icadyptes (Arch Linux fork):
http://icadyptes.org/
HLB Studios (art and the best duct tape wallets ever):
http://hlbstudios.com/

Note that this email is PGP/MIME signed, as per the signature.asc
attachment. If you do not know what this is, please don't worry about
the attached signature.asc file. If you do know what this is and my
signature is invalid, it may be due to malicious activity, a bug, or a
mystery of email forwarding and what not. If you are concerned about
whether or not this email is altered, please let me know. Of course, if
it's altered enough, this text could be removed as well, so if this text
isn't here it is probably of higher concern. Thanks!