feature request: mtrace for any binary

Hello list,

It would be nice to be able to run application with MALLOC_TRACE enabled, without needing to edit and recompile, just to enter some mtrace() calls. So this feature request is about enabling glibc to load the mtrace version of malloc() when a special LD_PRELOAD variable is set -- or any other way as long as I don't have to recompile.

BTW, I can't find anywhere documentation (besides the Source) about MALLOC_TRACE's output. The info page only says to run the mtrace perl utility that parses it. What I need however is to parse it myself live, while the app is running, and create some heap profiling output. Where can I find a little text describing the format?

Thanks in advance, Dimitris