Re: Help for graduate research - how are NLTP routines implemented atthe OS level

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Edmon Begoli <ebegoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike, Carlos,
>
> Thanks. I do have one fundamental and probably a very basic question
> related to thread creation
> calls and the compiler:
>
> How does compiler translate a following line of code into something
> that operating system
> will recognize as an instruction that will map to an OS thread:
>
> ret_value = pthread_create( &thread1, NULL, print_message_function,
> (void*) message1);

This is simply a function call.

The interesting stuff happens inside pthread_create() and at lower levels.

> I need specifics because this is a graduate level research on compiler
> implementations
> and I am having problems finding such documentation. I read Drapper's
> paper and it does talk
> about Futures but the focus is on the OS-level design of the
> concurrent data structures not
> how compiler interprets and translates PTHREAD API calls.

Have you taken a grad-level Operating Systems course? I ask, because
implementing a basic threading library using the clone syscall was the
first assignment this semester in mine.

I would imagine that you would have taken a course in Operating
Systems if you're doing OS research.

Matt