Re: Can I compile with MMX and SSE/SSE2 instruction sets ?

On 26 Jun 2012, Carlos O'Donell outgrape:

> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 06:09:02PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>> On 24 Jun 2012, Carlos O'Donell outgrape:
>>
>> > What documentation are you reading that says to use `install_root`?
>>
>> This certainly used to be the expected, nay, mandated way to install (in
>> the FAQ and elsewhere). If you haven't reread the documentation since
>> glibc-2.15 (when DESTDIR started working), you won't have noticed this
>> change. I know I didn't until just now.
>
> Could you please update the FAQ on the wiki not to mention instal_root?

Oh, no, *that* FAQ has been fixed. I'm talking about the *old* FAQ,
which a lot of us read in the 95% of glibc's life before you and others
did the great FAQ revamping. The deprecation of install_root was never
mentioned in NEWS, and when upgrading reading NEWS is more common than
rereading the entire FAQ and taking note of things that have vanished
from it. :)

> We should be following GNU Coding Standards.

And we are, now, as far as I can tell, at least in this area. (I never
understood why install_root was preferred over DESTDIR in any case. I
suspect it simply predated DESTDIR.)

--
NULL && (void)