Re: Replacing assembly-implemented glibc functions to C-implemented,how to

Hi Angel

I found a documentation which explains about your email.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.2/gcc/Asm-Labels.html

And I understood what you and the documentation mean.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely
Journeyer J. Joh

2012/7/2 Ángel González <keisial@gmail.com>:
> On 01/07/12 14:51, Journeyer J. Joh wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I am now checking all assembly-implemented parts from glibc.
>> I need to replace all of them with C funcions so that I can prepare an
>> architecture independent glibc.
>>
>> In the header file cdefs.h ,in misc/sys of glibc, I found the macro __REDIRECT.
>>
>> It seems that __REDIRECT redirects C function name to the Assembly
>> function name.
>>
>> And there is a comment about this.
>>
>> 175 /* __asm__ ("xyz") is used throughout the headers to rename functions
>> 176    at the assembly language level.  This is wrapped by the __REDIRECT
>> 177    macro, in order to support compilers that can do this some other
>> 178    way.  When compilers don't support asm-names at all, we have to do
>> 179    preprocessor tricks instead (which don't have exactly the right
>> 180    semantics, but it's the best we can do).
>> 181
>> 182    Example:
>> 183    int __REDIRECT(setpgrp, (__pid_t pid, __pid_t pgrp), setpgid); */
>>

>> But I cannot understand the exact meaning of the comment above.
>>
>> Could someone explain me how I can get rid of all assembly-implemented
>> functions from glibc?
> void function() __asm__ ("xyz")
>
> Specifies an assembler name of xyz for function. It isn't providing
> assembler code.
> So you can keep it. It doesn't add binary dependencies.
>
>> Should I enable the part below and add some plugin to the compiler?
> No.
>

> Note you'll need to keep syscall() in assembler. System calls are
> architecture specific.

Journeyer J. Joh
o o s a p r o g r a m m e r
a t