Re: [RFC] remove pre gcc-4.0 optimizations

On 12/28/2012 06:14 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Friday 28 December 2012 07:45:21 Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 12/28/2012 10:39 AM, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:
Hello, I noticed that headers contain optimized versions for gcc as old
as 2.8 or before.

To simplify code I would remove anything older than 4.0.0 (April 20.2005)
as it is not relevant today.

Is there a minimal gcc requirement to remove more definitions?

The installed headers should support older GCC versions. I think we discussed this in the past (this year) but don't remember the resolution, please search the archives,

hmm, how old ? :)

I can't find anymore this discussion, so perhaps my memory was wrong.

Currently we have tests in glibc even for GCC 2.7.

since the switch to nptl, the installed pthread.h doesn't work with <gcc-3.
maybe few people care though (i have seen multiple reports through Gentoo).

do you have an idea of what the thread was about that mentioned this earlier ?
i didn't find any mention of the topic in the wiki or the manual.  seems like
we should list it in the wiki FAQ at least.

I suggest we start a discussion on libc-alpha on the minimal compiler requirements for building applications.

Andreas
  SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 NÃrnberg, Germany
   GF: Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix ImendÃrffer,HRB16746 (AG NÃrnberg)