Re: About hacking libc

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 05:53:05PM -0400, Xinyang Ge wrote:
> Thank you, Carlos.
>
> I think the preload way is cleaner and doesn't require recompilation
> of glibc. However, will there be any symbol conflict between my
> library and glibc since both have the open() function? How do dynamic
> linked library avoid symbol conflict? I am really newbie in this
> field, could you recommend some reading materials to me if possible?

On conflict resolution symbol that is loaded first wins. LD_PRELOAD is
loaded first so it always wins. You use need to use dlsym to get libc
symbol version. I use this pattern, so following mostly works.

Compile following with -fPIC -shared -ldl -o open.so
then LD_PRELOAD=./open.so bash

#include <dlfcn.h>

int (*libc_open)(const char *pathname, int flags, int mode);
void __attribute((constructor)) init(){
  void *libc_handle=dlopen("libc.so.6",RTLD_NOW);
  libc_open=dlsym(libc_handle,"open");
}

int open(const char *pathname, int flags, int mode){
  printf ("opened %s\n",pathname);
  return libc_open(pathname, flags, mode);
}