RE: Regarding "Inconsistency detected by ld.so" 32 Bit Elf

> On 05/08/2013 03:12 PM, Karthikeyan Shanmugam wrote:
> >> Please note that a reduced test case is ONE source file, ONE linker
> >> script, maybe ONE more source file to build a library with, and
> >> some instructions. It has to be simple enough for others on the
> >> list to try out and help you with. It would also be good if that
> >> test case works on x86-64 so others can help you.
> >
> > I've one standalone program to reproduce this scenario compiled for
> > Power-PC. I'm currently not much familiar with INTEL arch, so will to
> > change the program a bit for Intel arch.

I'm facing difficulty in making INTEL arch based linker script for demo program. If PPC derived linker script and demo program is enough to represent the problem , please let me know.

> > In general, I thought similar kind of situation would have faced by
> > many others as because we have limited VMA in 32 bit chips to satisfy
> > contiguous memory allocations especially like database related
> > frameworks.
>
> I know that QEMU has to do something similar. There are probably so
> few applications that need to do this that there is no good accepted
> standard way to accomplish this.

So do I need to approach/start separate forum or someone from this forum can help me on this item?

> Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 15:44:42 -0400
> From: carlos@redhat.com
> To: karthikeyan24s@hotmail.com
> CC: carlos@systemhalted.org; libc-help@sourceware.org
> Subject: Re: Regarding "Inconsistency detected by ld.so" 32 Bit Elf
>
> On 05/08/2013 03:12 PM, Karthikeyan Shanmugam wrote:
> >> Please note that a reduced test case is ONE source file, ONE linker
> >> script, maybe ONE more source file to build a library with, and
> >> some instructions. It has to be simple enough for others on the
> >> list to try out and help you with. It would also be good if that
> >> test case works on x86-64 so others can help you.
> >
> > I've one standalone program to reproduce this scenario compiled for
> > Power-PC. I'm currently not much familiar with INTEL arch, so will to
> > change the program a bit for Intel arch.
> >
> > In general, I thought similar kind of situation would have faced by
> > many others as because we have limited VMA in 32 bit chips to satisfy
> > contiguous memory allocations especially like database related
> > frameworks.
>
> I know that QEMU has to do something similar. There are probably so
> few applications that need to do this that there is no good accepted
> standard way to accomplish this.
>
> > 1. Is there any other method to force all libs (including dynamic
> > loader) to fall above TASK_UNMAPPED_AREA area instead to be in
> > desired/fixed address (except prelink and libtool)?
>
> I know of no other way than prelink.
>
> How do you do this with libtool?

I think using libtool will be able to tweak the TASK_UNMAPPED_REGION <-> lib but don't think will be able to relocate.

> > 2. In prelink tool, is there any auto option to detect-force relocate
> > only the non-zero PT_LOAD segment libraries?
>
> I don't know.

Any idea how to identify the end (possible/probable) address of a shared library like libc?. I'm asking this because I noticed different end address during periodic loading of a same application, so like to know the worst case memory (size) which will be used by shared library (libc or any).

Thanks.