Re: Improving the GNU libc locales

Hi Petter,

Glad to finally see this list established.

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:

> I'm pleased to see so many finding time to join this mailing list.
> The topic at hand is GNU libc locales.  My goal is to make sure the
> locale support in GNU libc is as good as possible.  The motivation is
> to make sure as many people as possible can use it and this way make
> sure as many of the remaining issues are detected and fixed.  I
> believe this will make it easier for us in Norway to use our locales
> as well, and improving the norwegian locale is my primary goal.

I suppose that's the main goal of most of us â making locales we use
correct.

> The bugs reported against locales using the old gnats based system is
> lost, and we need to make sure the remaining issues are reported into
> bugzilla with enough info for the GNU libc maintainers to be confident
> enough about the quality of the fix to commit it to CVS.

Does that mean that I should submit my sr_CS* locales (I've got a new
one, for Serbian Jekavian dialect -- all available from
http://srpski.org/locale/) to Bugzilla system now?

> The lack of authorative documentation on the locale format in GNU libc
> is problematic.  I hope we can join forces and add some documentation
> to the GNU libc info pages that reduces this problem.

I'm willing to help on this front as well, though I doubt I'd be able
to write substantial parts of the documentation.

I'll post later on when I find some time, to ask for help on several
issues I'm having.

Cheers,
Danilo