Re: onwards to git

Hello!

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:39:33PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Is there anything in particular that should be done with ports on or
> > around 9 May to facilitate the switch for ports?  (I did the last release
> > tagging/branching for ports, Daniel did some previous tagging but I think
> > he's away on the 9th.)

> The ports module is separate from the libc module and the libc change will
> not have any direct or immediate effect on ports.  I previously suggested
> that ports switch to git much earlier (it never needed to wait for the main
> libc conversion).

Just a suggestion from someone who isn't actively using the ports
repository: why not have separate Git repositories for each individual
port, and base these repositories on the [glibc]/master branch?  Doing
so, the ports maintainers could periodically merge in [glibc]/master into
their ports' branches (which may either be in a separate repository or in
the main glibc repository), and it would also automatically be documented
which port is maintained, which was the last version of [glibc]/master
this port was tested with.

Regards,
 Thomas