Re: onwards to git

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> > I've found it's useful to manage the switch like this:
>> >
>> >   1) announce that the git repo is now "upstream"
>> >   2) add a commit hook prohibiting commits to the cvs repository
>> >   3) stop the cvs-to-git mirroring process
>> >   4) cvs-remove all files and add a sole file, README-moved-to-git
>>
>> Frankly I don't think this level of formality is really needed for ports.
>> But I suppose it won't hurt.
>
> On the whole I think the way that's most helpful for people with existing
> checkouts (possibly modified) is not to cvs-remove the files (at least for
> a while after the move), just add README-moved-to-git and disallow all
> future CVS checkins; give people a reasonable amount of time to move to
> git checkouts without making the files suddenly vanish from the existing
> checkouts.

I think most people with existing working directories are best
served by prompt notification (remove all files).  The relative
few who tend to have local changes are generally clueful enough
to be able to deal with the conflicts.  My preference to remove
all files targets the less experienced majority.

But considering the relatively small number of checkouts
of glibc-ports (compared to say glibc itself), it probably
doesn't matter either way.