Re: __ARCH_WANT_SYSCALL_DEPRECATED

On 2011-08-22 at 22:43:18 +0200, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
> On Monday 22 August 2011 14:36:02 Linas Vepstas wrote:
> >
> > So: What's the latest on asm-generic support on glibc?
> > I just pulled glibc-2.14 and note that Chris Metcalf's
> > generic implementation hasn't been folded in yet.
> > It seems to work well for me, so can we expect it
> > anytime soon?
> >
> > Another problem:  If I don't define __ARCH_WANT_SYSCALL_DEPRECATED
> > in the kernel asm/unistd.h  then glibc won't build: currently,
> > I get
> > ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getdents.c:105: error: ???__NR_getdents??? undeclared (first use in this function)
> >
> > A very quick grep tells me that asm-generic defines a getdents64
> > but that is not what glibc is looking for.  Is there any chance
> > that there are glibc patches floating around somewhere that heal
> > this and any remaining __ARCH_WANT_SYSCALL_DEPRECATED issues?
>
> I don't know the answer to your question, but I've added Mark Salter,
> Guan Xuetao and Tobias Klauser to the list, since they probably have
> the same issue on c64x, unicore32 and nios2. c64x is currently nommu,
> but there is a similar problem with uclibc and I expect that architecture
> to grow an mmu at some point.

On nios2 we're using an outdated eglibc version (based on glibc 2.5)
right now and thus we still rely on our own non-asm-generic version of
asm/unistd.h

I'm currently in the process of converting our arch to solely use
asm-generic header wherever possible one of which is the syscall ABI.
This will also mean we'll have to redo the libc parts.

Tobias