Re: RFA: Port maintainers: Convert WORDSIZE[32|64]/ld to abi-variants

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Joseph S. Myers
<joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2012, H.J. Lu wrote:
>
>> 1. For non-biarch architectures, there is nothing to do.
>
> This patch is removing the ld=ld-linux.so.2 entry for sh.*-.*-linux.*,
> which looks like a mistake; I don't see it added anywhere else.

I restored sh and sparc entries in shlib-versions on hjl/abi branch.
The new patch is at

http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=patch;h=0d1f492b3cf83a200601c1f49734b048c5547e57

>> 2. For biarch/triarch architectures where there are no soname differences,
>> you need to rename syscall-list-* variables in CPU/Makefile to abi-*.
>> If the default ABI for the build isn't the first one on abi-variants, you
>> should also define default-abi:
>
> But leave the sonames in shlib-versions?

Yes.

>> 3. For biarch/triarch architectures where there are soname differences,
>> in addition to renaming syscall-list-* variables in CPU/Makefile to
>> abi-* and defining default-abi, you also need to define
>>
>> abi-XX-ld-soname := your ld.so soname.
>>
>> where XX is the ABI variant, like
>
> And leave sonames in shlib-versions as well, or take them out?
>
> If taken out, where does the minimum symbol version information for ld.so
> go? ?For sparc64 it's currently given as GLIBC_2.2 - not globally, but for
> ld.so (sparc64 has GLIBC_2.0 symbols in some libraries such as libresolv,
> but for ld.so, libc, libm and libpthread the minimum is GLIBC_2.2; I don't
> know the story behind why this is the case). ?I don't see an obvious new
> location where that information is going, with the entries removed from
> shlib-versions.

I restored sparc entries in shlib-versions to accommodate this.

> We could probably do with each libc architecture maintainer confirming
> that their ABI tests still pass after the changes. ?(Well, that may be
> hard for S390 and SH, whose ABI baselines haven't been updated by the
> architecture maintainers since they were moved to separate
> per-architecture files. ?SH and S390 maintainers, if your baselines are in
> fact accurate without changes - if the tests pass as-is (you can run make
> check-abi from cross as well as native builds) and comparison with other
> architectures and old binaries doesn't show any signs of mistakes having
> crept into past symbol versions - could you please confirm that
> explicitly? ?And if they do need changes, please make them. ?Verifying the
> check-abi tests pass is something to be done for all architectures between
> freeze and release - but the only problems it should be discovering at
> that point are *recent* ABI breakage; mistakes in the baseline, or
> unwanted changes relative to binaries of old releases, ought to be found
> in advance of the freeze.)

Thanks.

--
H.J.