Re: [patch, mips] Improved memset for MIPS

On Fri, 2013-09-06 at 00:18 -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> Two things really:
>
> (a) Testing details?
>
> Could you please elaborate more on "some standalone performance
> measurements?"
>
> What specific benchmarks did you run?

Basically, I just wrote and used a test program that does a bunch of
memset's.  Nothing fancy or very intricate.

> What does the glibc microbenchmark show about your changes? Do they
> show a benefit?

I didn't try this, but I can.  Is there anything on the glibc web page
about how to run this benchmark?  Does it happen as part of the standard
'make check'?

> Steve, I trust your experience with MIPS, but I'd like to see all
> of us drive a little more detail into these performance related
> patches. I'm also curious if the microbenchmark shows a performance
> progression. The glibc community is trying hard to add some objectivity
> to our performance measurements, prevent performance regressions, and
> use the tests to experiment with new implementations.

That sounds reasonable.  I just need a bit of help on where this is and
how to run it.

> (b) the code formatting isn't in line with the project requirements.

I'll fix these up and resubmit when I have the changes (and some more
performance data).

Steve Ellcey
sellcey@mips.com