Re: libffi win32 structure passing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Green" <green@redhat.com>
To: "'Jon Beniston'" <jon@beniston.com>;
<libffi-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sent: 09 January 2001 23:40
Subject: RE: libffi win32 structure passing

> On Tuesday, January 09, 2001 3:39 PM, Jon Beniston [SMTP:jon@beniston.com]
> wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile libffi (2.00-beta) for Win32 (CygWin environment),
in
> > order to use it with libgcj (gij). After a few minor modifications, it
> > builds and the test program runs successfully apart from the structure
> > passing tests. These report they've found GCC's structure passing bug.
Could
> > anyone enlighten me further on this bug, so I could possibly fix it or
find
> > a work around. I've been told that libgcj doesn't use this anyway. Any
> > further info there? Also, would you like me to submit a patch file?
>
> Cool.  libgcj doesn't pass structures at all, so gij won't suffer from
this
> failure.  Which structure passing bug did it report?  A function name, or
line
> nunber in fftitest.c might be useful.  Yes, please submit a patch file.

It causes an access violation on the first test when accessing
test_structure_1.ui. Commenting that test out and running again...

structure test 2 ok!
Structure test 3 found structure passing bug.
  Current versions of GCC are not 100% compliant with the
  n32 ABI.  There is a known problem related to passing
  small structures.  Send a bug report to the gcc maintainers.
structure test 4 ok!
Structure test 5 found GCC's structure passing bug.
Test failure: ../gcc-20001225/libffi/src/ffitest.c line 726

although that line number maybe be different because I've been adding some
printf's ;)

I submit a patch soon.

Cheers,
Jon Beniston.