Re: Non-gcc releases

Etienne Gagnon <gagnon.etienne_m@uqam.ca> writes:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> I don't know if you are interested in a Windows port, so this may be an
>> issue or not:
>> I have seen at least 2 or 3 'hacked' versions of libffi for windows, and
>> hacked on another one myself.  There must be a reason why this wheel is
>> always reinvented.
>> And, even on non-windows, it is my impression that docs are badly
>> needed.
>
> I, for one, am greatly interested in the Windows port, and any contributed
> new docs!

Before I can submit code patches, I'd like to discuss some things I'm
not so sure about, or improvements I would suggest.  One example for
this is the usage of preprocessor symbols - which ones to use for
conditional compilation of MSVC specific stuff.  The improvement
suggestion would be to get rid of the #ifdef'd stuff in types.c, and let
the compiler create the typedefs with correct alignment and size fields.

And I'd like to make sure that I can point the users of my package,
which uses libffi, to an quasi-official 'release' of libffi (hopefully
including these patches some day), or at least a CVS tag somewhere in a
repository - but that's the whole point of *this* discussion, imo.

For the docs, I have nothing written yet, but I have the habit to write
things up myself as I discover them.  I haven't discovered much, so far,
so it would at least help if someone could answer the questions I have.

Thomas