Re: Non-gcc releases

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:

>>> I think we can do this, it just requires someone willing to do the
>>> work.
>
> Thomas> I would be willing to help, but I'm not sure how.
>
> I think mostly it is release-type stuff... once we get some basic
> issues worked out it will be things like making releases, uploading to
> ftp sites, writing announcements, etc.

I'm probably not the guy to do releases for platforms I never use, and I
would even fail to build rpms or so.  Maybe I can create tarballs...
But I am a development guy, so I would prefer to only submit code to
some repository, and maybe keep some readme files up to date.

>>> It may also require a little bit of buy-in from the GCC SC, I'm
>>> not sure.
>
> Thomas> I don't understand this: what is 'GCC SC'?
>
> I think this was answered... it is the GCC Steering Committee.  If we
> run libffi out of the gcc repository, we'd need some minimal approval
> from them.

Hm, IANAL, but I don't think it would be illegal (or immoral) to rip
libffi from the gcc cvs, remove the GPL'd files from it (there are some
in the testsuite, for example), and upload it to somewhere else, leaving
it under the original redhet license.  Am I wrong believing this?

>  But it sounds like we'll be taking a different approach.

Does it sound so?  Not for me...

> Thomas> PS: While we're at it, a separate mailing list for libffi would also be
> Thomas> great, it's impossible for me to follow the gcc devel list and locate
> Thomas> the 0.3% posts about libffi ;-)
>
> Good plan.  We could use libffi-discuss for this sort of thing, and
> set up a patch list if we think it is needed.  I suspect the volume
> will be low enough not to matter.

If you want, I can start posting patches here (just found three of them
in the testsuite), and start posting the requirements for the features I
need.

I'm eager to start...

Thomas