Re: porting to interix

On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:47 PM, rob.oeffner@o2.co.uk wrote:

Hi Jay,

Yes you're correct. I'm running SFU and SUA and would like to get gcc to be
supported on those platforms. The gcc compiler ports that MS provides for
interix only include C/C++ so it doesn't include libffi.
I've so far adapted the GCC4.4.0 tarball on interix to bootstrap C and C++
only but I also want the Fortran compiler i.e. libffi is a prerequisite.

I seem to have read on some newsgroup that the error messages I encounter
when trying to build libffi has to do with the binutils assembler being
invoked during the build phase: it must be ELF compatible or so. If anyone
has a clue that would be great.

Many thanks,

Rob

p.s. Building python doesn't require libffi but just a C compiler AFAIK.

Python includes its own hand-configured copy (copies?) of libffi for its ctypes module; check your python sources, since that might help you get a leg up on a straight libffi port.