Bootstrapping

Pavel Roskin pavel_roskin@geocities.com
Mon Aug 9 08:00:00 GMT 1999

Hello!

I've just attempted to compile libstdc++-2.90.6 on a very minimal
installation of RedHat Linux 6.0

Apart from the mentioned problem in "make install" there was another
problem. The "configure" script tests if the c++ compiler works.

Unfortunately, the c++ compiler cannot link executables until a c++
library is installed. This is a chicken and egg problem.

My solution was to specify "CC=gcc ./configure"
There is no real need in having another c++ library preinstalled.

You may find interesting the attached parts of configure.in and aclocal.m4
which I wrote for IceWM in order to circumvent a similar problem.

Pavel Roskin