V3 Testsuite PATCH: Disable tests on newlib

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz@redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 17:07:00 GMT 2004

>Is that what you want?

Yes, this is what I'd prefer.

>Also, is this really a sound testing methodology?  You're suggesting
>that tests *pass* even when they are (essentially) not being run.

Note, that is what your version of the patch does as well. And no, it's
not especially sound testing methodology, but it's the best thing that
we've been able to come up with given the constraints of dejagnu and
time.

That way, when we fix it with a sound methodology, we only fix one place
(testsuite_hooks.cc), not 15 individual files.

>That
>seems wrong; the ideal thing would be to mark them UNTESTED.  XFAIL, as
>I have suggested, seems like less of a lie than PASS.

I'm suggesting that the best result would for these tests to be marked
unsupported, not pass or fail.

However, this would require some kind of dynamic marking of testcases.
What I'd really like to do is throw an exception from try_mkfifo and
catch it in the dejagnu wrapper, and then stop execution, mark the test
as unsupported, and continue.

-benjamin