Deque... (Re: [Patch] libstdc++/23425)

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@suse.de
Sat Nov 26 19:21:00 GMT 2005

Howard Hinnant wrote:

>> Otherwise I will probably go ahead for v7.
>
> v7 is ok for abi changes, right?

It is, by definition... however, the definition is wrong! ;)

I mean, as a matter of fact, we are doing there *all* the experimental
work, not only the real ABI-breaking work. Unfortunately, the name is
right now rather misleading, sorry, but I don't think we are going to
gain anything from closing it and opening another, differently named,
branch, or using (maintaining :( in parallel two separate branches.

In fact, as I wrote very quickly yesterday, for some time I want to
concentrate on that kind of work, temporarily in v7, but
non-ABI-breaking, features going in mainline rather soon.

By the way, now that mainline is in Stage 1 again, we are going to start
on merges v7 -> mainline, as we already did at the beginning of the 4.1
development cycle. Later, I will sketch a bit the work ahead of us.

Paolo.