Re: Library/VM tests

Artur Biesiadowski <abies@pg.gda.pl> writes:

> Tim Wilkinson wrote:
> >
> > I have (finally) been looking into integrating our modest testsuite into
> > Mauve but have run up against a problem.  So far as I understand things
> > Mauve is designed to test *only* the library functionality.  Given this
> > what are we suppose to do about test which sit on the boundary -
> > ClassLoaders spring to mind but there's also such things as
> > Serialization, Reflection and bunch of other borderline stuff.  None of
> > this is VM specific of course but it relies on more heavy VM support
> > than some tests (some stuff uses threads for example).
> >
> > So my question is - what's the policy on this?
>
> So, my personal opinion is that things that you mentioned fir into
> mauve. Example fo thing that will not fit is StackOverflowException or
> OutOfMemoryException testing - they are stritlty VM test, as there is
> really not much to test in actual classes, and have a side effect of
> possibly crashing entire test suite. I think that such tests (together
> with bytecode tests etc), should be done separately - out of mauve.

My personal opinion is that such a testing facility is needed for all
the free VMs including Kaffe, Japhar, etc.  If you want to look at the
Mauve project as containing a couple of modules, one for testing core
libraries and the other for testing vms/jit, then I think that would
work well.  What, if anything, has to be done to the testing framework
seems like a separate issue to me as well.

Brian
--
|Brian Jones			|