Re: [Q] Number of unit tests in Mauve and of assertions in Classpath?

Sascha,

Regarding your question:

> >> - Do you know any (as responsive :-) java open source community with
> >> some big project and which
> >> uses both, JDK 1.4 (thus theoretically assertions) and unit tests?

Although not a free (as in GNU) software project, NewJ Library for C++, an
independent 100% native implementation of the core Java API, uses both unit
tests and assertions. The test cases are our C++ version of Mauve, which
make use of the gnu::testlet::Testlet and the rest of the testing framework
just like the Java version. The assertions are actually built right into the
Core J2 Library implementation, which may be compiled in or out for debug or
release builds. As you might expect, the use of both unit tests (like Mauve)
and assertions find more coding or logic errors than either one alone.
Furthermore, unit tests and assertions serve slightly different purposes and
are applicable to slightly different circumstances.

For example, unit tests serve to verify that the implementation of the
library meets the agreed-upon specification. These test cases often validate
method inputs with expected outputs. And test cases serve this purpose
rather well if they are broad enough. Often, such test cases probe boundary
conditions, but it is difficult for them to test all possible inputs,
whether valid or invalid, that may be passed to a method in a real-world
situation. This is where assertions come in. Assertions are always there (if
it has been opted to enable them) so they can validate input and outputs for
any (and every) real-world application. Furthermore, they can test things
that test cases cannot, such as, validating inaccessible members and
performing internal consistency checks. We have found that using both test
cases and assertions gives us a higher level of confidence in the quality of
our library than using one testing technique alone.

Regards,
Vargas
http://www.pure-native.com/newj.html