Re: can Mauve help me test a PersonalJava implementation?

Steven Schwarz wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion to make jars -- that will definitely help
make things more convenient, if I can get around something else.
Here's the something else:

If I compile with a JDK 1.4.2 or 1.5.0 I end up with class files with
major.minor version 46.0.  If I attempt to run them with a
PersonalJava or JDK 1.1.8 VM, I run up against the limitation that
those VMs are only empowered to accept classes whose versions are in
the range 45.0 .. 45.65535, i.e. strictly before version 46.0.  JDKs
1.2.2 and 1.3.1 will produce class files with versions before 46.0,
but unfortunately, cannot compile Mauve, as I explained in my previous
posting.

So I guess my question about whether I can use Mauve in the
environment I need to is made equivalent to whether I can find a
compiler that will compile Mauve producing classes with version
strictly before 46.0.  Any suggestions for such a compiler?  I've only
ever used Sun (or blackdown) JDKs.  Will Jikes help?

Just compile with "-target 1.4" (or whatever).

-Archie