profiling variant of newlib

I am currently using newlib 1.8.1 in the gdb simulator for teaching
undergraduates.

I observe that the current newlib build system builds variants of newlib for
all of --print-multi-lib ; what I am interested in is a variant compiled with
-p(g) .  I cannot currently see any way of making the make system do this.

Is there something I've missed, or can this be added in the next release? I
suppose that it is unusual to want to do this for most sourceware components,
but for library code this is a useful option.