Re: newlib 1.8.2 binary!

Hi,

Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
> The latest newlib out of CVS builds fine for me, of course I'm using it for the firmware

Not asking for binaries :-) but I can confirm some problems with
building recent versions of newlib.  The usual commands:

./configure --target=i386
make

work with newlib-1.8.1 (to the point where it can't find i386-gcc),
but with 1.8.2 as well as today's CVS version, make stops without
trying to compile anything:

[lots of messages deleted]
yn_vec.c                ..linked
ynf_vec.c               ..linked
creating cache ./config.cache
configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in .. ./..

Of course, ./install-sh exists and is executable.

What I'm actually trying to do is to port newlib to AVR, but
I'm getting the same error there (the i386 example above was
done with original unmodified newlib sources, just to show
that it's not a problem with my AVR patch).

I'm sure this is something simple, but help would be very much
appreciated.  The host is Debian/GNU/BSD/XFree86/whatever/Linux
(slink with 2.2.13 kernel) on a PC.  I'm fairly new to newlib,
but I have absolutely no problems building things like avr-gcc
(now in official CVS tree) or avr-binutils, so I believe that
I have all the required build tools available.

I'd like to get newlib for AVR to build - even if it's mainly
useful on the larger chips (ATmega103 with 128K flash), building
newlib is also a good way to test avr-gcc for bugs :-).

Thanks,
Marek