Re: Updated patch for dealing with __infinity and small data areas

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 01:28:04AM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
> I don't understand the reason for using __INFINITY_DECL__.  It seems
> gratuitous unless somebody is declaring this in a Makefile somewhere.
>
> Since the __declspec(dllimport) stuff is already sprinkled throughout
> the header files, special casing it in this one place seems like it
> will just generate future confusion.
>
> DJ has proposed a generic method for dealing with the windows export
> criteria.  I think it will probably supersede this change, assuming
> that it is accepted.

In the port I'm working on, it would be convenient if I could control where
__infinity goes (the problem is ideally I would like __infinity to go in the
small data area, but the library is compiled with -G 0 to reduce the number of
multilibs).  At present, I settled for putting __infinity in normal data area,
and used [] to override the compiler's choice of addressing mode.  I figured
other ports might run into the same problem with __infinity and _impure_ptr,
the two variables exported by newlib (_impure_ptr already had a method of
adding machine dependent attributes).

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304