Re: Compiling with newlib headers?

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 06:40:06PM +0400, Sergei Organov wrote:
>The article is wonderful, but the following question still remains. How do I
>merge trees taken from, let's say, gcc-2.95.2, binutils-2.10, and newlib-1.8.2
>distributions together? What to do with 'include' and 'libiberty' directories
>in this case? Take them from the latest distribution, or what?
>
>Actually, I took everything from binutils, then 'gcc' directory from gcc, then
>'newlib' directory from newlib. This seems to work, but is it the right thing
>to do?

There is no "right thing to do", unfortunately.  The releases of gcc, gdb, newlib,
and binutils are disjoint.  That means that the bfd directory from a gcc release
is only guaranteed to work correctly with gcc.  The include directory from a gdb
release is only guaranteed to work correctly with gdb, etc.

You can probably get away with using the newest version of common libraries and
include files but there are no guarantees.

cgf