Re: some questions for building newlib

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 11:57:32AM +0800, zsz wrote:
>I am sorry, I don't have completed the last letter, but I sent it by error
>Thank you for your help,
> I can't understand "unpack gcc/binutils/newlib all in the same source directory and build in a single build tree".
>What is "same source directory and build in a single build tree"?
>My working method go as follow:
>
> /src
>   |----binutils
>   |           |------binutils-2.10.0.12  <--------source files are here
>   |		|-----------xxxxx
>   |		|-----------binutils_objdir <------configure, make
>   |		|-----------xxxxx
>   |----gcc
>   |          |-------gcc-2.95.2 <-------source files are here
>   |                            |---------gcc_objdir  <--------configure, make
>   |----newlib
>   |          |-------newlib-1.8.2  <------source files are here
>   |                            |---------newlib_objdir  <--------configure, make
>   |----insight
>              |-------insight-5.0  <--------source files are here
>		|---------insight-5.0_objdir <--------configure, make
>
>Do you think it is right?
>I guess "same source directory and single build tree"  said by you may be as follows:
>
>"same source directory"
> /src
>   |----binutils
>   |           |------binutils-2.10.0.12  <--------source files are here
>   |----gcc
>   |          |-------gcc-2.95.2 <-------source files are here
>   |----newlib
>   |          |-------newlib-1.8.2  <------source files are here
>   |----insight
>              |-------insight-5.0  <--------source files are here

I'm sure that Jeff meant:

/src
  +-----binutils <--------source files are here

  +-----gcc      <--------source files are here

  +-----newlib   <--------source files are here

  +-----insight  <--------source files are here

This layout reflects, to some degree, the sources.redhat.com CVS repository
and it is the layout most people use when building things like gcc, newlib,
and gdb (aka insight).

This mirrors your tree below which is also right.  What this allows you to do
is:

mkdir /build
cd /build
/src/configure
make

The problem with this layout, when downloading from the net, is that you
have to decide which common directories, like libiberty and include, you
need to use.  When I was building things from tar.gz files I usually just
used whatever looked newer.  You still might have to play around with some
files to get things working, though.

An alternative method is to check everything out via CVS.  The sources.redhat.com
web page should be able to lead you to a page which describes how to do that
for the various projects.

cgf