RE: Question about library?

> >       The history of newlib is that it is a C library
> targetted for embedded platforms.
> >       Creating a dynamic library for non-native platforms
> makes no sense.  Thus,
>
> In what way does it make no sense? We do exactly that, where
> I work, for
> glibc because our
> embedded platform is not particularly powerful and has no
> disk drive but
> we still
> want the memory savings of sharing the various libraries' code.

If your target isn't powerful, then probably you don't have
an OS and you could simply link all your executable code
together with just one copy of newlib -- which then would
be shared, kind of. Besides, if you don't have a hard disk,
then being able to dynamically load a library is kind of
overkill because it is in memory anyway, so you can as well
have it loader at all times (unless you have, say, lots of flash
and very little ram, and you don't have a fixed set of
applications running.. in which case I'd be interested to
know what exactly it is you do with your targets :-)

Note that Jeff was talking about the "dynamic" side of libraries,
not "sharable".

Cheers,
Yves