Re: arm 7tdmi gnu toolchain

Jörg Preuß wrote:

> hi!
>
> last semester i had to work on a projekt at my university.
> we had an arm board with an arm 7 tdmi proc. it was connected with serial
> port to a linux host running kde and kdevelop.
> we modified kdevelop so we could use it with our gnu toolchain we build.
> but there is one thing which is actually not working:
>
> we thought we could just compile the newlib (and espacially the gcc for to
> use this newlib) with --target=arm-none-elf and that's it.
> but it didn't work.
> compiling with the newlib brought up a SWI every time in the first line of
> code. and this was the reason why no programm was runnable on the board or
> in the armulator of the gdb.
>
> i read in the archive of the newlib-mailinglist, that there is a bug in
> crt0.S. i patched it as it was explained. but that didn't help.
> i also read about the problem with libgloss. but it didn't make a difference
> compiling especially the newlib or implicit the libgloss - according to the
> problem with the SWI.
>
> does someone knows a hint or probably a solution?

Joerg,

  It appears you have failed to turn off the monitor compiler defines in configure.host.  If you
look in newlib/configure.host you will notice that there is a -DARM_RDI_MONITOR compiler flag set on
by default for the arm*-elf configuration.  If you look in newlib/libc/sys/arm/crt0.S, you will see
that this causes an SWI call in the _start routine.  If you comment out this flag and
reconfigure/build, it should get you past this problem.