newlib newbie wants to malloc

Hi,

I'm trying to get newlib working on a new system and I've encountered
a problem.

There is a function _malloc_r used throughout the library, even malloc
simply calls _malloc_r.

This function is provided in the file newlib/libc/stdlib/mallocr.c.
There is a "#define mALLOc _malloc_r".

The problem is now that mALLOc() expects one parameter, but _malloc_r
is defined to get 2 parameters.
The first parameter to _malloc_r is a pointer which is now interpreted
by mALLOc as requested size.
How should this work? What am I doing wrong?

confused,
chris