Re: Old problem but hard to kill

mmxlee@263.net wrote:
Hello,

Yes , I have some problem with newlib , again it's for a mips-tx39-elf target.

The newlib is compiled smoothly but just don't work,
when I compile a simple "hello.c" , it always prompt the same error:

in function '_sbrk'
undefined reference to `sbrk'

in function '_read'
undefined reference to 'read'

Then I compile the newlib again with the -DREENTRANT-PROVIDED, then the error becomes:

in function '_sbrk_r'
undefined reference to 'sbrk'

in function '_read_r'
undefined reference to 'read'

seems no help.

I can't use a C compiler without a newlib support, but how can I provide a suitable library for my compiler...?

I had a similar problem with a special m68k target with 68LC302 processor. Some basic functions like read, sbrk etc. are too target specific and therefore not included in newlib itself. If you are lucky, someone has written them for your target, if not, you have to write them yourself. To make this easier, the "libgloss" library provides basic versions of these functions for very simple targets. For the m68k target it was called "libnosys". If you have it for your target too, you may add it to your link command and at least get a successful link.

There is some documentation available for this, but I don't where I it comes from. It appeared on my computer during the build of the GNU toolchain. Maybe it was generated during the gcc build. It's called "Embed with GNU" and accessible via "info" on my linux box.

Wolfgang

many thanks

Stewart